Most recently, you’ve passed an essay to the teacher. Perhaps you are confident that the work is good, but after a time you’re getting that essay for revision. Of course, the teacher would explain your weak points, but just in case, we decided to put most of the comments together. All of them are collected by the stories of real teachers that regularly check student’s essays.
Here are the comments.
- The essay lacks specificity. Suppose you’re writing about Third World countries and the economic opportunities that they have. However, students often forget to point out the example of what kind of country and what kind of sectors of the economy they use as a base to make their conclusions. Incidentally, in the economic essays figures are very important, not well-oiled sentences. The more specific evidence base for the essay is used, the better it is. In the end, you have to understand what materials you use. Otherwise what is the difference of your research and notes on the scandal sheet?
- Inappropriate style. Essays may have a good idea and proper evidentiary basis, but to be written with too formal language. Remember that you do not write an accounting note. Essays are closest relatives of journalism, so employ rich phrases and aphorisms. Use words that help build a logical chain, for example, “to begin with,” “next, “”after all.”
- Uncertainty. The main objective of the essay is to argue a particular point of view. However, the expression “it seems to me,”” I believe, “” I guess “do not create a feeling of confidence. It turns out that the student himself is not sure what he is talking about. Why, then, he takes up this theme?
- The volume of a good essay is 400 words. Of course, the job may have more stringent limits, but if you can do this, then write. Do not stretch the philosophizing; employ the “free space” for specific examples.
We hope that you have got this list in your hands before you are going to write an essay. Please note these items and, most likely, your essay will not come back for revision. At the very least, teachers say it is the main thing in the style of work.
- beautiful phrases for essays
What are the characteristics of the essay and why we can call it successful? What do you need to rely while writing to have not only packed pages, but quality work as a result? Let’s try to define the basic criteria of the good essay.
- Form compliance. We have already written about how the structure an essay should look like. Just in case, remember: an introduction, detailed body and conclusion. If it is a scientific essay, in the end an essay should also contain a list of information sources that you have used. Generally, all academic works are more difficult; in case of form discrepancy scrutineer may even refuse to accept the written material. So remember that form is first and foremost thing.
- Essence. The semantic load of the essay is equally important. Try to develop a theme from several perspectives. Thus the composition will acquire volume and significance. Remember that the meaning of the work is as important as its form.
- Volume of the essay. Even if you have a broad theme and you think it needs a detailed description, be careful not to violate the specified volumes. While describing the broad topic one can focus on one particular aspect and disclose it. Do not underestimate the volume of essay, because then it seems that you have nothing to say on a given topic. To increase the volume of essays, use a simple scheme – find ideas of prominent person in this industry on this topic.
- Connectedness of speech. Always remember that the conclusion follows from the entry. If these two have little in common in meaning, your job can’t be called good. Greater coherence of speech writing is provided by the detailed plan before you sit down for substantive work.
- The presence of logic. In each essay, even art, there certain logic exists. Most often, this transition is done from general to specific. Try to observe this logic in each section. Sometimes, in creative arts assume the reverse order parts, but it is more the exception than the rule.
Use these criteria while estimating draft of you future work. Is it good or needs some additional re-working?
- essay criteria
- criteria for essay writing
- criteria for a good essay
- criteria for writing an essay
- essay example using criteria