- Pick a subject.
- Spend a couple of hours reading up on it.
- Take a break for a couple hours while your brain processes the information.
- You’re only dealing with 500 words, so choose only 1 main idea you want to express.
- Choose two or three reasons you believe this idea to be true, OR like it, OR why it’s important. Prepare yourself mentally to describe those reasons in words.
- Begin your essay with a familiar example that illustrates your idea. You’ve only got 500 words, so you need to pick something you won’t have to spend a lot of time describing for the reader.
- Write a rough draft of at least 250 words.
- Take another break. A full day if possible. During this time your brain will come up with more ideas.
- Reread your essay, Proofread it. Edit the hell out of it. Add to it and take away from it. Be merciless.
- By the time you’re done, you will have 500 words.